Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Building a box for the LT1 decoder tester

After seeing the DCC-equipped consolidation in action, I am totally hooked on DCC. Once you see a DCC-equipped loco on a DCC layout, you cannot stand the whine an analog loco makes on the DCC layout. So, the next obvious step is wiring all my locos with a decoder.  But, first I gotta test the decoders with this LT-1 test kit that Digitrax supplies.  Let’s open it up.

DSC06439_LT1 box

O-kay. This is what came out of the package. What do I do with the resistor thingie? How do I test the decoder.  Aah, there it is, a wiring chart.

DSC06448_LT1 box

Well, just to test one decoder, I need to twist six sets of wires together.  Sheesh, there’s got to be an easier way.  Alligator clips?  Naa, too bulky.  Terminal strips?  Naa, takes too long.  Hmm.  I need something that’ll make it simple to plug in a decoder.  Aah!  What about one of these thingies?

DSC06441_LT1 box

So, I decided to solder the rail feeds to two of the slots on this spring-terminal (apparently that’s what they’re called).  Then I soldered the black/green wires from the LT1 harness to the third slot.  Finally the red/yellow wires from the harness to the fourth slot.  This is what it looked like after the soldering was done.

DSC06444_LT1 box

The idea was to shove all of this in a box.  Only two wires would come out of the box and connect to the rail feeds on the booster. Well, all is good, but I also wanted to be able to test loconet cables, which meant the RJ-15 jack needed to be accessible from outside the box.  So, the LT1 harness needed to go out of the box and plug back in.  Like so:

DSC06443_LT1 box

DSC06442_LT1 box

This is what it looked like with the wires all tucked in:

DSC06447_LT1 box

And this is what the final thing looked like after I glued the top:

DSC06449_LT1 box

Did you catch that?  Glued the top.  Well, that was boneheaded mistake #1 for this project.  I wanted to have a clean look so I glued everything together.  Now, the whole contraption is sealed in a tiny wooden box and I don’t even know if it works or not!  Doh!  Next time, use screws!

Ready to test my first decoder. But first, I need to plug in the RJ-15 at the end of the harness to the LT1 tester.  BANG!  Boneheaded mistake #2!  I glued the LT1 inside the box.  The ridges of the RJ-15 receiver needed to be outside so that it would stay firm when I push the connector in.  With the ridges on the inside, the connector simply pushed the LT1 inside and it fell inside the box.  Grrrr!  What to do now? 

I was able to get inside the box with a pair of tweezers and grab the LT1 and align it with the hole but I couldn’t fit it back in place because the tweezers wouldn’t fit in the hole with the LT1.  So, I cut two tiny notches on either side of the square hole so I could hold the LT1 in place with the tweezers while I glued the whole thing back together.

DSC06450_LT1 box

After waiting longer than normal (just to be sure) for the glue to dry I tried again and bonk, it fell in again.  What to do?  Well, I could crack the box open and start over, but I really want to just start testing decoders.  I don’t want to spend more time on this.

Again, creative thinking time.  All I need is to somehow support the LT1 from behind while I plug the harness in.  So, I drilled a hole on the opposite side of the box, slid a bamboo skewer through the hole and applied pressure to the LT1 from the other side to be able to plug the harness in.  Guess what?  It worked.

DSC06451_LT1 box

DSC06452_LT1 box

DSC06453_LT1 box

Here’s the final assembly.  Notice the slit up top so you can see the LEDs on the LT1.

DSC06454_LT1 box

DSC06455_LT1 box

Finally ready to test decoders.  Luckily, everything went great after that.  I was able to test all functions on two decoders in about 30 seconds with this.  Here’s a video that shows it in action (sorry for the shaky camera and the horrible narration).

Lessons learned

  1. Test the tester!   I never really knew the LT1 I had actually worked or not before I started messing with it.  Bad idea.  I got lucky that everything worked in the end, but there was this moment when I plugged in the first decoder I asked myself “if this doesn’t work, does that mean I had a bad decoder, or does it mean I damaged the LT1 tester?”
  2. Use screws   It was really dumb to glue the box shut.  Granted the LT1 isn’t something that’ll need to be serviced, but what if I had soldered a wire wrong or something?
  3. Put the ridges of the RJ-15 receptacle outside the box   That would have saved me so much time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment