Sunday, January 16, 2011

Bachmann Consolidation (2-8-0)

I’ve always wanted a diesel-only layout, but I just couldn’t resist the latest release of the 2-8-0 Consolidation from Bachmann.  This engine comes factory equipped with a DCC decoder and has a magnetic coupler in the tender (former releases had rapido couplers).  I got mine from Brooklyn Locomotive Works.  They have it extremely reasonably priced. 

Unpacking the engine

The Bachmann box holds the engine tightly in place without damaging any of the fragile detail parts.  All details came attached with the one I ordered, although I’ve read in some forums that people had to attach detail parts themselves.  Maybe this is a new release thing.  Anyways, here are a few pictures of the packaging and the box:

DSC06408_Bachmann Consolidation

DSC06409_Bachmann Consolidation

DSC06410_Bachmann Consolidation

First impressions

This truly is a beautiful engine. The amount of detail on it is amazing.  I also love the fact that the wheels and the drive gear do not have that chrome-bright look some other N scale steam engines have.  It really is gorgeous and amazing value for the price.

The one thing that is odd is that the front coupler isn’t operational and the rear coupler is much larger than the regular micro-trains couplers; but it works fine with them.

DSC06411_Bachmann Consolidation

DSC06412_Bachmann Consolidation

DSC06413_Bachmann Consolidation

DSC06414_Bachmann Consolidation

DSC06415_Bachmann Consolidation

DSC06416_Bachmann Consolidation

DSC06417_Bachmann Consolidation

DCC Configuration

This really was ready to run DCC engine.  The factory installed decoder is pretty basic: it only has the light function and 28-step speed control.  It is quite adequate for my purposes though as I don’t plan on adding sound or any other effects.  The one thing I wish this decoder supported was ops mode programming.  I don’t have a separate programming track as the layout is so small.  So, I was unable to change the loco address using ops mode programming.  Luckily I had some leftover Kato unitrack laying around.  I connected a short straight section to the programming track output of the Zephyr Xtra and was able to program the decoder using direct mode programming.

Operation

In the box, Bachmann included a note saying that you need to run the engine at 75% speed or so for about 2-3 minutes.  It really does make a difference.  When I first put the engine on the track the movements for a bit jerky, but after a few laps around the oval it started performing very well.  You really need at least 11-12” curves for this engine.  The curves I have on mine are 10.5” and 9.75” and those are too tight.  The engine can make the turns, but derails easily on the 9.75” curves unless going slow.

Below are two videos, the first one is the first run right out of the box and the second one is the second or third lap around the track.

Not only is this engine a great looking engine, but it performs really well too.  I don’t have any grades on the layout, so I can’t speak about the performance over various degrees of grade, but it was able to pull 6-10 cars without a hitch.  I bet it can do more, but my layout isn’t big enough to support longer trains!

I was completely blown away by the slow speed performance of this engine.  Here’s a video of the engine moving smoothly at a speed that is barely noticeable.  Wow!

Conclusion

This is a great engine and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a beautiful and smooth running engine.  The quality is way above what you would normally expect from Bachmann; both appearance and performance-wise.

The one down side is, and this isn’t a knock on the engine, running a 2-8-0 steamer really exposes the flaws in the track work.  It derails in spots where my 4-axle diesels just fly through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment